Lung 1


81 year old male who smoked cigarettes and pipes with history of cancer of the prostate in 1994, the bladder in 2001 and was hospitalized for pneumonia. There was swelling of the right arm and bilateral leg and the patient was short of breath. The patient also had a pacemaker put in, in 1989.


The patient went to the hospital with complaints of shortness of breath and was diagnosed with pneumonia. For further investigation a CT scan was performed on 11/24/03, which diagnosed metastatic disease. This was confirmed and identified as non-small cell lung cancer with a pathology report two days later. There were “…too many to count non-calcified pulmonary nodules,” one lymph node measuring 2.3x 1.3 cm. The right hilar mass measured 3.6x 3.4cm and there was also a mass in the upper right lobe that was 6.7 x 7mm. In the left upper lobe there was a 9mm nodule. Patchy infiltrates were noted throughout the entire image. There was also concern for possible liver lesions, but they were too small for characterization.

Initial Treatment

The patient had had his prostate removed in ’95. There is no documentation on hand that explains any further treatment the patient underwent. The patient was recommended by a doctor at hospital to have radiation on lung masses, chemotherapy being too toxic with the weakened cardiac condition of patient. Radiation was not undertaken by choice of family due to possible side effects. The patient had signed over power of attorney to his son, who requested that his father be released to him and his brother’s care in order to undertake IPT.

IPT History

The patient’s first contact with IPT was in 2000 when his wife received IPT for bone pain caused by breast cancer. The patient first saw Dr. Ayre on 12/4/03. He received 22 treatments from that day until 4/5/04. A letter from the son on December 15th reported that the pneumonia had cleared significantly and the mental alertness of the patient had improved greatly. The swelling in the right arm decreased dramatically as well. Family members agreed that he looked the best since before going into hospital, they were able to reduce the amount of oxygen needed, and the periods of erratic breathing from December – that almost 911 calls – had ceased. A return visit to the doctors at the hospital produced surprise and even virtual amazement. One doctor even thought that the patient had undergone the recommended radiation. A CT scan was performed on 12/29/03, which reported that the left lung was clear of infiltrates and edema. The right lung was completely opaque due to pleural effusion. Another CT scan was performed on 1/12/04, which noted that the large pleural effusion in the right lung was significantly decreased and there were no significant changes of the pulmonary nodules from previous examination. The patient’s color and overall health improved. After the treatment of March 9th, one of the patient’s sons sent an email that stated that his father showed tremendous improvement: he ate a large meal, was able to move about unassisted in his wheelchair, slept through the night – which was uncommon – and did not require as much oxygen.

The patient died 4/22/04, surrounded by family.

Comments are closed.